Today is Wednesday which means in my new life that I get to spend the whole day with Munchkin! I’ve decided to go back to work part time and will be in the office four days a week. In my last post I wrote about how much this decision was troubling me and has been keeping me awake at night (unlike the baby who is sound asleep in baby slumberland).
This is a little update on how my first couple days back went.
let’s start with the minuses because there are only a few:
– only getting to see the baby for two hours each day does suck a bit, there is no doubt about it
– trying to get dressed and ready to go out the door whilst still wanting to give the baby precious attention is tricky
– both evenings the first thing the baby did when he saw me was burst into tears, just for a few seconds then was full of smiles. I am not sure what is going through his little head but it is a bit upsetting
– the nanny wants to put him on a slightly different routine (which probably suits the baby better) but it means I have to get used to it on my days with him too
– the nanny has got to try new foods with him – he had potato and banana yesterday and I feel I should be experiencing that with him
On the plus side:
– my baby seems very content apart the little cry when i come home. He is full of smiles and giggles and energy.
– when the nanny arrives in the morning he is very happy to see her which makes me feel better
– the nanny is super efficient! She has organized all his clothes, my kitchen cupboards (!) and made lots of organic food for him. This means on the days I spend with him I don’t have to park him somewhere while I try to do these chores. I get to play with him
– the nanny has started taking him to playgroup and this week a baby music class. While again part of me feels like I should be doing this I know that I am a bit reluctant to break out of my established routine and it is good for him to socialise with other babies
– she (and this is a weird one) knows way more about the practical side of bringing up a baby than I do! So she can advise on baby proofing, types of food to try, that it is a good idea to get a waterproof mattress cover now and so on. It is quite nice to have someone to bounce ideas off.
– I enjoyed being back in the office. Everyone has been so nice to me, stopping by for a chat and they seem really pleased to have me back. It makes me feel more valued as a person.
– I have a new bond with other people in office who are parents. It is nice to share stories about our kids and I now have something in common with some people I may not have talked to previously.
– it has been great to engage my brain in a different way.
I am sure there are lots more but right now my son is demanding my attention and I am about to give him a million kisses!